For entrepreneurs -- getting past negative thoughts

I notice that a lot of new entrepreneurs are plagued by negative thoughts. As they progress, these old thoughts are overcome by new, more action-oriented thoughts.

Think about what some of your old, negative thoughts were that held you back -- in business, in dating, in any area. How did you overcome those negative thoughts? Did you see the situation in a new way? Decide to take action despite your fears and "do it anyway"? Did you forget the old thought over time?

Whatever you did to change that thought worked for you, and you can replicate your own success in other areas.

For instance, if you thought you were a looser in 9th grade, but then decided that was no longer true in 10th grade, you have experienced transforming your thoughts.

You can do the same thing now. If you think you're dumb with business, you can also transform that thought in order to create a feeling of confidence in your ability to start a business. It's the same process! And you don't have to wait a year to see the results. You can transform as quickly as you'd like.

So, what are some of those negative thoughts you're currently working to overcome?

For instance, I notice a lot of these thoughts with my clients.

"I'm not sure I'm good at being an entrepreneur -- I lack discipline."
"I might not be able to make enough money."
"I don't have a PhD/advanced/Bachelor's degree in this field, and maybe people will think I have no credibility."
"I've never been particularly smart."
"I'm probably too old/young tall/short inexperienced/over-qualified (insert any adj. here) to do this."

And as they take more action, the thoughts change to this:


"I'm increasing my discipline, and I am good at being an entrepreneur -- I'm learning."
"I will find ways to make plenty of money."
"I don't need an advanced degree to accomplish this, and I am building credibility."
"I am smart enough to accomplish this."
"I can accomplish this using exactly what I've got."

Give it a try! Make a list of your negative thoughts. Then think back to a negative thought you had in the past that you eventually overcame. Use the same process that worked for you back then, but speed up your results by consciously choosing to transform.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feel happier, right now!

When you're dating...how to avoid sociopaths

Why is change so hard?